Monday, December 22, 2008

Lentils with Fennel and Sausage


I was excited to get a fennel bulb (complete with fronds) in the CSA box last week and promptly started looking for a recipe. I love fennel--it tastes somewhat like black licorice and smells absolutely wonderful when you are cutting it. This recipe looked perfect for what I was looking for.

For the most part I loved the recipe. I ended up making it on an evening when neither Curtis or M were at home. I followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used only 1 lb sausage instead of 1 1/2 pounds. Even with reducing the sausage, I still thought there was way too much sausage and not enough lentils. Overall though, the recipe was great. It was pretty with the orange from the carrots and the fennel gave it a wonderful flavor. J loved it as well. He felt the same way about the sausage I did and didn't eat his sausage either. However, when Curtis ate the leftovers the next day, he thought the sausage was great. I will definitely make this recipe again (and may even buy fennel if I need to in order to make it!).

No comments: