Friday, August 14, 2009

Porcupine Balls

My husband and I have a deal. One night a week we each get an evening off. That means one night a week I find something to cook that I think the kids will love and Curtis won't be too sad about missing (as in, I don't cook his favorite meals or meals I know kids will hate). This week's meal was porcupine balls, a favorite of mine growing up, partly because I loved the name. My kids love meatballs so I thought this would be a hit. Did I mention these are super easy? I served these with peas and applesauce.

I overestimated M apparently. I am going to blame it on her current mood (I am convinced the body snatchers have replaced my daughter with a freaked out, moody version). She refused to eat it because it had finely chopped up onions. J, on the other hand, absolutely loved it and ate 1 1/2 meatballs (the meatballs are larger than golf ball sized). Curtis also liked them when he had them for leftovers. I did change the recipe a little in order to let them bake while we went to the pool. It worked out just fine.

Porcupine Balls
from Mennonite Country-Style Recipes

1 lb hamburger
1 1/2 c bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 c milk
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 t chili powder, optional
1 t salt
1/4 c uncooked rice
1 1/2 c tomato juice
2 t sugar

Mix together hamburger, bread crumbs, egg, milk, onion, chili powder, salt, and rice. Shape into 8 balls. Place in 9 x 13" casserole dish. Pour 1/3 c water in the bottom. Gently pour tomato juice over balls. Sprinkle sugar over juice. Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 60 - 75 minutes or put balls in a skillet and simmer, tightly covered, on the stovetop for 45 minutes. You know they are finished when the rice is tender.

No comments: