Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cappucino Brownies

Mmmm...brownies and coffee all in one. I love these brownies. Curtis does too, M doesn't because they are too chocolately, but I am just fine with that. I found this recipe in Bon Appetit and then saw it on a food blog. I decided I needed to make these.

I made a couple of changes to the recipe. Next time I make these, I'll leave off the white chocolate ganache. It adds a little of over the top sweetness and in general, I just think white chocolate is a waste. Per Curtis' suggestion (and a good one it was), I added some dried tart (sour) cherries.

They were wonderful. Brownies can be divided into two categories, fudgy and cakey. I am in the fudgy camp and these are dense and fudgy--a little gooey in the middle. I can't wait to make these again! I think I'll rename these Mocha Cherry Brownies and skip the ganache.

Cappuccino Brownies
adapted from Bon Appetit

1/2 c butter, diced
3 oz unsweetened chocolate (or you can substitute 9 T unsweetened cocoa plus 3 T vegetable oil)
1 1/2 c sugar
3 large eggs
1 T instant espresso powder (or 1 T instant coffee)
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
3/4 c flour
1/4 - 1/2 c dried tart (sour) cherries (optional)

Stir together butter and chocolate in heavy saucepan over low heat until chocolate is melted (do this even if you are using the cocoa and oil). Remove from heat. Pour into a medium bowl and whisk in the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time. Whisk in espresso powder, vanilla, and salt. Stir in flour until just blended. Stir in tart cherries. Pour batter into 9 x 9" pan lined with aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray (the foil makes the brownies easy to remove from a pan). Bake brownies in a preheated 325 degrees oven until puffed and dry looking. A tester inserted into the center should come out with moist batter (not wet, but some batter will slightly cling) attached, about 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. Pull brownies out of pan onto foil and invert onto parchment paper to cut.

These brownies are very rich. Cut into small squares (about 20 - 24 squares).

No comments: