Monday, April 12, 2010

Frozen Jeff

This is really one of those recipes I should have renamed. The name does nothing for me. Except that I like it and it makes me smile whenever I think of it. For that reason alone, the name stands.

We are rediscovering smoothies in our house. A couple of weeks ago, I was in a clean-out-the- freezer binge and found some old frozen berries (store bought). I decided it was a good day for a smoothie day and the kids definitely didn't argue. Then when I was looking for recipes for a carrot salad to make to take the JBG Potluck (which I promptly forgot to make), I found Frozen Jeff.

Frozen Jeff isn't quite a smoothie, but still a blender drink. It isn't quite as thick as a smoothie or Orange Julius type drink. Because of the crushed ice though, it does have a little bit of bulk though, just not to smoothie quality. We all loved this drink, so much that I made it two days in a row (until all our freshly picked strawberries were gone). These proportions will make 4 not huge servings.

Frozen Jeff
slightly adapted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

2 c orange juice
6 or 7 fresh strawberries, rinsed and stemmed
2 T fresh lime jiuce
1/2 t vanilla
2 T sugar
1 - 2 c ice (I like 2 c or even more of ice. Just add until you get desired consistency)

Combine all ingredients except ice in a blender. Whirl until strawberries are well blended with orange juice. Add ice and puree until smooth (adding as much ice as you want to achieve your desired consistency). Put in fun cups, sit outside, and enjoy spring.

No comments: