Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pimiento Cheese

I have finally figured out what to do with all the peppers that multiply in my crisper drawer so quickly.  The bell peppers never last long.  I know those have no spice and they get through into a variety of things---beans, fancy tuna salad, sloppy joes.  However, there's a whole group of peppers that show up in my box that aren't bell peppers and don't tend to have any spice.  These tend to be the longer peppers--orange or light yellow in color, occasionally red.  Every once in a while they may have a slightly mild spice, but that is rare.  I don't risk it though by cooking them in sloppy joes or other foods I know the kids I love.

Those peppers, the mystery ones with not much (any) spice become pimiento cheese.  I know this is my second pimiento cheese recipe.  This is the good recipe.....the roast your own peppers recipe with not a lot of mayo and lots of cheddar cheese.  For good measure, toasted pecans are also added.

Curtis, Isaac and I love this recipe.  M hasn't wanted to try it, so I haven't encouraged her (nope, I don't want to share).  I think I have kept J in the dark knowing about it's existence as well, because there's a good chance he'll like it, too.

Homemade Pimiento Cheese
adapted from farmhousedelivery.com/blog

1 lb grated cheddar
4 - 6 sweet peppers (the long, slender, multi-colored assortment, not bell peppers)
2 small hot peppers, minced (purely optional--I omit since Isaac likes this recipe)
1/3 c pecans, toasted and chopped
1/4 - 1/2 c mayo

Roast the sweet peppers (not the spicy peppers though).  I prefer to do this on a gas grill.  Brush each pepper lightly with oil and place on hot grill.  Turn occasionally, until all sides are lightly charred.  This can also be done on the top of a gas stove (directly on the flame) or in the oven.  Once all sides are charred (will probably take 8 - 12 minutes or so on the grill, depending on how hot your grill is), place in a bowl and cover.  Allow to steam for 10 minutes or so.  With the blunt side of a knife, gently scrape charred skin off of the peppers.  Remove the seeds.  For best taste, do not rinse the peppers.  Chop the peppers.

In a medium to large bowl, combine the cheddar with the roasted, chopped sweet peppers, the minced hot peppers, pecans, and 1/4 c mayo.  Taste and add more mayo if you need a bit more (I love mayo, so I usually need a bit more...always a bit more mayo).  Season to taste with black pepper.

Serve with crackers or make into sandwich.  I like to make grilled pimiento cheese sandwiches.  It's also really good with a slice of prosciutto.

No comments: