Monday, April 19, 2010

Cilantro Carrot Salad


After 3 (or is it now 4?) months of carrots, M and Curtis are finally tiring of them. It is a sad day, mostly because we are still getting large bunches of small-medium sized carrots. What to do with them? It's been too warm to think much about roasts (beef or a roasted chicken) lately. I haven't been feeling the motivation to make a carrot cake or carrot muffins. I needed a carrot outlet--one that would use two weeks worth of carrots without flinching.

Which once again took me to my trusty Moosewood---the best cookbook of all things vegetarian and vegetables. Moosewood didn't let me down. I found not one, but two carrot salads, neither of which used orange jello. I attempted the Cilantro Carrot Salad.

Curtis and I loved it. I really didn't expect the kids to eat it--it will need to show up at the table about 50 more times or so before M will try it. That's ok. I am fine with not sharing. I didn't peel the carrots for this salad--in fact, I don't think I've peeled any carrots this winter---their outer flesh isn't hard, but nice and tender. Why waste perfectly good carrot? This version is a 1/2 recipe--it will serve 2 - 3 adults as a side salad.

Cilantro Carrot Salad
adapted slightly from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics

1 1/4 c peeled (optional) and grated carrots
1 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 t fresh cilantro, minced
1 t fresh parsley, minced
1/2 t salt
1 T fresh lemon juice
a small pinch of cayenne

Place carrots in a small serving bowl and set aside. With a whisk or in a small glass jar, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the dressing over the carrots and toss well. Serve at room temperature or lightly chilled.

No comments: