Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Sound of Silence


Not so much silence in my world, just silence in my blog. We've had a whirlwind month of travel---Over 3000 miles driven to the East Coast (and more!) and back. I've done a little cooking, almost all of it off this blog and have made absolutely no new recipes. I traveled back in time to when pea season (M thought freshly picked peas--that she picked no less--made the perfect breakfast) existed. We visited a farmer's market, repeatedly, and found wonderful blueberries, cling peaches, fresh sweet corn, cucumbers, green beans, and pastries. M picked peas and helped dig potatoes. J helped plant sweet corn, dig potatoes, and pick off potato beetles. Little I just ate. For the drive home, we carefully packed a cooler full of ice packs, frozen sour cherries my parents picked, and peas I helped shell. Sour cherry pie is in our future!!

I returned to a CSA box of wonderful, height-of-summer veggies. I traded my patty pan squash for my eggplant and scavenged my eggplants to plan this week's menu. I've been able to pick some sungold and yellow grape tomatoes off my own plants and am still hoping my heirloom tomatoes just might produce.

Here's the menu for the week. Hopefully, soon, I'll have all sorts of new recipes to share.

Tuscan Panzanella
Ratatouille
Caponata
Baba Ganoush
Sicilan Beef Roast (new recipe!! using a crock pot!!)
Fajitas
Grilled Eggplant Sandwiches

No comments: