Saturday, January 15, 2011

Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Herbs

My kids love roasted and boiled beets. Seriously. (By the way, if you have toddlers eating lots of beets, don't be alarmed when you change their diapers---sorry, if it's too much information, but a beet-eating kid's diaper can be a little worrisome the first time you see it). As a result of my kids love of beets, I usually do nothing to them but roast them and lightly salt them. On occasion though, I want a grown up beet recipe that involves herbs and goat cheese.

Years ago, my husband used to get a beet salad he loved at a now-closed restaurant in town. I tried to replicate it, but at the time, I didn't like beets, so I never actually tried it. (That is not a good idea by the way. You can't create a recipe for something that you've never tried if it is trying to imitate another recipe.) I digress. I overseasoned the beet salad I attempted. This one is much better--the herbs don't overpower the beets and the wonderful roasted beet flavor shines through.

My kids didn't like this, wouldn't even try it, in fact. They like their beets unadulterated by things like thyme and goat cheese. Curtis and I liked it.

This will serve 4 - 6 as a side salad.

Roasted Beets with Goat Cheese and Herbs
adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking from the Farmers' Market

1 1/2 lbs beets, greens removed. Use a variety of colors of possible.
1 t fresh thyme, chopped
1 t fresh chives, chopped (optional)
3 T extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
2 oz fresh goat cheese, crumbled (keep refrigerated until using, don't bring to room temp)

Wrap the beets in an aluminum foil packet and place on a cookie sheet. Roast in preheated 400 degree oven for about an hour, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, slip the skins off the beets. If the beets have been cooked long enough, the skins should slip right off without needing a vegetable peeler or a knife. Cut beets into 1 - 2" size pieces (I only halved and quartered my small beets). Put beets in a medium-sized shallow bowl.

In a separate small bowl, mix together the thyme, chives, and olive oil. Drizzle over beets, season with salt and pepper, and toss beets gently. Top with crumbled goat cheese. Serve immediately. (Don't over mix beets after adding goat cheese, otherwise, beets will get a creamy goat cheese coating instead of being brilliantly colored).

No comments: