Monday, April 11, 2011

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake


When I was young, every once in a while my mom would have her "Ladies" over. While this bothered my brother, sister, and I slightly because we had to stay out of sight and quiet, for the most part it was ok because my mom almost always made this for dessert for them. It was some what of a magical dessert to me---cake on the top with hot fudge pudding on the bottom. A piece was inverted on a plate and topped with vanilla ice cream. The vanilla ice cream always melted a bit in the hot fudge and it was wonderfully gooey mess of ice cream, hot fudge, and cake--perfect for a little girl.

Once I started making this for myself, it was no less magical or special, although for some different reasons. My favorite discovery was my mom used no bowls to make this. Every thing was measured and then mixed in the 9 x 9" pan it was baked in. I still love how during baking the cake floats to top and the vanilla ice cream makes a gooey mess with the hot fudge and cake.

This is always a hit when I make it. I love it because it's easy and good!

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
from my Mom :)

1 c flour
3/4 c sugar
2 T cocoa
2 t baking powder
1/2 c milk
2 T oil
1 t vanilla
1 c brown sugar
1/4 c cocoa
1 3/4 c hot tap water

Mix flour, sugar, 2 T cocoa and baking powder in an ungreased 9 x9" pan. Mix in milk, oil, and vanilla with a fork until smooth. Spread evenly in pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 c cocoa. Pour hot water over batter. Bake 40 minutes in a preheated 350 degrees oven. Let stand 20 - 30 minutes. To serve, invert on dessert plates and top with vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Thanks for the memory! Your reminiscing about this old comfort food brought me comfort.