Monday, July 9, 2012

Red Cabbage Salad with Fennel and Orange

Yes, I have somewhat abandoned this blog.  Sad I know.  However, I've been pulled back, mostly by myself because I realized that I am not going to be able to remember where I've found some of these great recipes I've been making in the past 6 months and have loved.  Thus, some pared down posts.  I'll apologize now for the lack of pictures, however, there will be recipes again.  Somehow, as my kids get older and more independent I am not being granted copious amounts of time to cook, take pictures, and blog.  Or maybe I am granted that time, I am just spending it in other ways.  :)

The pumpkin seeds are great to snack, consider making double and keeping some around just to eat.  :)

Serves 4 - 6 as a side, easily

Red Cabbage Salad with Fennel, Orange, and Pepitas
adapted a bit from Food and Wine

1 c raw pumpkin seeds
1 T tamari or regular soy sauce
2 T olive oil
1/2 T lemon zest, grated
2 T lemon juice
2 nice, juicy oranges
3/4 lb red cabbage, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
1 fennel bulb, halved, cored, and thinly sliced (optional, however if you can find it, use it!!)
1/4 c cilantro, chopped

Spread the pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheets (half jelly roll pan--with sides) and bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 7 minutes or until golden brown.  Drizzle with tamari/soy sauce and bake for 3 more minutes, until the seeds area crisp.  Set aside.

Working over a bowl, cut the peel off the orange, making sure to get all of the white pith.  Gently slide the knife in between the sections of the orange to release the fruit (without the tough membranes).  This gets messy so work over a bowl and save all that wonderful juice for the salad.  Cut the released fruit into small, bite-sized pieces.

In a large bowl, toss together the orange pieces and juice, cabbage, fennel, if using, and the cilantro.  In a small jar, vigorously shake together the olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  Pour over the cabbage mixture and toss gently.  Immediately before serving liberally sprinkle with the roasted pumpkin seeds.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments: