Saturday, December 7, 2013

Camping Pancakes

Part of the fun of camping for me is finding camping type of recipes that also taste good.  Yes, I could get a box of pancake mix and just add water, but I would rather eat food that is slightly better for me while I am camping (and that tastes better too).

My first pancake recipe, I liked just fine, but M wouldn't eat them.  This is also a problem.  When we're camping I want a meal that everyone will like because they're not many backup options (besides apple cake, toasted over a fire).  Our go to at home pancake isn't an option either--that one involves soaking oatmeal in milk and beating egg whites until stiff.  Not happening while camping, I can assure you.  

This recipe is the perfect recipe for camping pancakes.  The dry ingredients can be prepared ahead of time.  I pre measure the yogurt and take 4 eggs.  Shazam.  We have pancakes.  The yogurt makes me feel a little better about the all white flour, as does the lack of oil.  

The best part?  We all really like these, they are only slightly more complicated than the just add water box mix and they perfect made in the open air.

This makes enough for the 5 of us.  Occasionally we have leftovers (depending on how much apple cake and bacon we have also eaten).

Aunt Edna's Yogurt Pancakes
adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen who got it from the Pioneer Woman

1 c minus 2 T flour
2 T sugar
2 t baking soda
1 t salt

2 c plain yogurt (not Greek--you need the extra moisture)
4 large eggs
1 t vanilla (optional--I use this at home, not while camping)

If camping:  Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large container with a lid.  Pack in dry food box until it is time to eat.  When ready, add the yogurt to the container of dry ingredients, stirring gently to just combine (it's ok for it to be lumpy).  Add the eggs and gently stir them in, being careful not to over mix.

Cook on black skillet on camp stove or over a fire if you are really ambitious and confident of your fire building/cooking skills.

At home version:  Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add the yogurt and stir gently.  In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs and vanilla.  Add to yogurt/flour mixture and stir until just combined, being careful again not to over mix.

Cook on hot griddle.


No comments: