Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tangled (Angel) Hair and Kale

In December came Christmas and Christmas means new cookbooks.  I got cookbooks from both my brother and sister (they know me so well!!).  I've been enjoying each.

This has been one of my favorite new recipes so far.  It was great the evening we served it and I enjoyed it a couple of days afterwards as leftovers.  For leftovers, I fried up an egg, leaving the yolk nice and runny and served it over the cold pasta and kale.  Mmm….

Kids weren't a fan, but that won't stop me from making it again. M usually loves kale, so I'm not giving up on this recipe yet (except M did mention that I always made things I liked, versus always things she liked.  So true, M, so true).

The original recipe called for chili sauce (of the Chinese persuasion) and garlic go in the dressing.  I left both out, because I knew the kids wouldn't do spicy and I can't do uncooked garlic.  If you want to add these back in, use 2 T Chinese chili sauce and 1 clove minced garlic.

Tangled (Angel) Hair and Kale
adapted a hair from The Heart of the Plate by Molly Katzen (of Moosewood Fame)

1 t orange zest
2 t sugar
1/4 t salt
2 t rice vinegar
1/2 t soy sauce
1/4 c olive oil
1 lb (less is ok, too) kale, large stems removed and coarsely chopped
8 oz angel hair (capellini) pasta
2 oranges, peeled, sectioned and sections removed
1/2 c sliced almonds, toasted

In the bottom of your serving dish, combine orange zest, sugar, salt, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.  Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking the soy sauce mixture vigorously.  Set aside.

Place kale in a colander in the sink and rinse well.  Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions.  When the pasta is al dente, drain the pasta in the colander with the kale in it.  The boiling pasta water and hot pasta briefly wilts the kale (I love this method!!).  Add drained kale and pasta to the serving bowl with the dressing.  Mix the kale and pasta with dressing using tongs, lifting from the bottom of the bowl to coat all the pasta equally with dressing.  Mix in the orange slices and almonds.  (Next time, I'll serve the almonds on the side, because that was M's biggest complaint).

This is also good at room temperature or cold.  If you don't serve this right away, wait to add the oranges and sliced almonds until immediately before serving.

Leftover suggestion:  Add a fried egg with a runny yolk to the cold kale and pasta.


No comments: