Monday, May 19, 2014

Snickerdoodles

There are a few recipes I've been making forever and just have never blogged.  This is one of those.  Every time I want snickerdoodles, I scour this website.  Finally I remember, no, the recipe isn't here.  Then off to visit Deb (in her Smitten Kitchen) I go!

In the idea of saving some time, I am finally posting the snickerdoodle recipe here.  This would be a favorite cookie of two of my family members, one of which who has been known to convince her friends to give her their snickerdoodles.  On those occasions, I call her my Stinkerdoodle (well, and other occasions too).  It is a term of endearment in our house.

I make the whole batch at once and then freeze them.  When I pack lunches, I simply open up the freezer and viola!  A cookie for everyone!  By lunch time they are just the right temperature and taste much fresher than if they had been on the counter for a week.

Quick, before the school year is over, go make snickerdoodles and put one (or two) in your very own stinkerdoodle's lunch!

This makes 3 - 4 dozen cookies depending on how big you make them.  I tend to make them on the smaller size. (You can eat more that way!)

Stinkerdoodle's Snickerdoodles
adapted slightly from Smitten Kitchen who found this recipe from Martha

2 3/4 c flour
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
16 T (1 cup or 8 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs

1/4 c sugar
2 T ground cinnamon

Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.  In a large bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer), combine butter and 1 1/2 c sugar.  Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes depending on how powerful your electric mixer is.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs.  Beat to combine.  Pour in the dry ingredients and beat just until everything is incorporated.  Chill the dough for an hour or more, to make them easier to roll--otherwise they stick to your hands a lot.

In a small bowl or plate, combine 1/4 c sugar and ground cinnamon.  Form dough into balls (either using 3/4 oz (size 40) ice cream scoop or teaspoons (the eating kind).  Roll in the cinnamon sugar and place on baking sheet.  Bake in a preheated 400 degrees oven for 10 minutes.  Cookies should be set in the center and begin to crack (they won't brown--don't even try to brown them because they will be overdone!).

1 comment:

Davene Grace said...

Oh, yum! One of my all-time favorite cookies! :)

I like that idea about freezing them and then pulling them out in the morning to thaw by lunchtime. I had never thought of doing that!