Sunday, January 31, 2016

Long Lost Brussels Sprouts Salad

Years ago I used to make this recipe.  Repeatedly.  I loved this recipe and it reminded how versatile the maligned, to frequently overcooked brussels sprout was.  Then the recipe was gone.

A year had passed since I made it and I could not remember where the recipe was located.  I scoured by cookbooks and my frequently used food blogs.  I goggled it countless times to no avail.  The recipe I remembered had disappeared.

On a whim yesterday, I goggled brussels sprouts salad.  I remembered it was simple, had nuts, and cheese in it.  That was all.

There it was--on the second page of my goggle search my missing recipe, gone for five years, at least, waited for me.  I recognized the blog name--not one I frequented, but one I had found a few good recipes from.

I do not want to lose this recipe another five years.  It's too good.  It's too simple.  I made this in the fifteen it took me to sear my kofta.

Long Lost Brussels Sprouts Salad
from Shutterbean.com
serves 4- 8, depending on how much people love brussels sprouts

1 stalk of brussels sprouts (approximately 24 or maybe a lb), shredded (I use my food processor blade)
1/2 c Parmesan, grated (the good stuff here, folks.  As in the stuff that comes in a wedge, not in a can)
1 c toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
9 T olive oil (again, the good stuff)
3 T apple cider vinegar
2 t Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Toss the shredded Brussels sprouts in a bowl with the grated cheese and toasted walnuts.  In a small jar, vigorously shake the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper.  Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat all the Brussels sprouts.  If you feel like the salad needs more dressing, make more dressing and coat to the desired amount.

Will keep a day or two max, but it really will be eaten before then.

No comments: