Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Spanish Tortilla (or at least as Spanish as I get)

Some days, I leave space in my menu for an "Iron Chef" day.  I purposefully plan no meal and decide I am going to figure out something to cook just using the ingredients from my pantry/fridge.  

For this addition, I had a ton of potatoes and was hoping to avoid using meat (we have a meat heavy menu the rest of the week).  Spanish tortilla came to mind and I started googling recipes.  I decided quickly that I didn't want to make an authentic tortilla because of the amount of olive oil and flipping the entire tortilla and getting it back into the pan.  Amanda Hesser and food52 came through for me.

We topped it with salsa and we mostly liked it.  Curtis and I thought it should have Manchego with it, but that would have defeated the Iron Chef aspect (and involved a trip to the grocery store).  I had this the next morning for breakfast as well.  

Serves 4 - 6

Spanish Tortilla
adapted from Amanda Hesser at food52

2 lbs potatoes
salt
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T olive oil
8 eggs
1 t smoked paprika
1/3 c Parmesan, grated (or Manchego would be wonderful)
1 1/2 T butter

Boil the potatoes in a pot of salted water until they are just tender, about 20 - 25 minutes.  When they are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into thin, 1/8" slices.

While potatoes are boiling, heat 1 1/2 T of olive oil in a skillet (I used my all clad skillet).  Saute the the onions with a little salt until they are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.  Place in a large bowl and let cool.  Preheat the oven to 400.

In a bowl, beat the eggs until they are frothy and well blended.  Set aside.

Put a layer of potato slices over the onions in the large bowl.  Make sure each slice is separate.  Pour a little egg over top and stir gently to make sure each potato slice is coated.  Repeat the process until all the potato slices have been added and each slice is coated with egg.  Gently fold in 1 t salt and smoked paprika.

In the same skillet you sauted the onions in, melt the butter and add remaining olive oil over medium heat. When butter is melted, gently pour in the egg and potato mixture.  Even out the top with a spatula and sprinkle with cheese.  Cook over medium high heat until eggs are set at the edges.  Transfer the pan to the oven and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until the center is set.

Remove from the oven, let cool for a bit, and invert on a plate if desired.  We took the easy way and serve it straight out of the pan (watch for the handle! It's hot).  Top with salsa with good green olives on the side, if desired.

No comments: