Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Unstuffed Sweet and Sour Cabbage

Yay! For two weeks in a row we've gotten cabbages. I have an interesting relationship with cabbage. I've learned to like it just in the time I've been a part of a CSA. I am always excited the first couple of times we get cabbage, but by May, my crisper usually has at least 2 or 3 large cabbages just hanging out.

This recipe is going to help change that. I love this recipe. Curtis loved this recipe. Baby I loved this recipe. The two older ones? Well, they didn't, but they will by the third or fourth time we have this in the next 6 months.

This was pretty easy to make--the cabbage took a little to cook, but not too bad. We will be eating this again. I served this over rice. It would serve 4 - 6 people.
Unstuffed Sweet and Sour Cabbage
adapted from Gourmet

1 (2 lb) head green cabbage, quartered lengthwise and cored
1/2 c chicken broth
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 lb onion, thinly sliced
1 T olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
1/3 c dried cranberries
3 T red-wine vinegar
1 T packed brown sugar
2 T parsley, chopped

Place cabbage in a deep 12-inch skillet with broth (I used my cast iron/black skillet), 1 sliced garlic clove and rounded 1/4 t salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then cook, covered, turning cabbage occasionally until very tender (from about 20 - 45 minutes. I know that's a wide range, but cook until it's the tenderness you like). Add more broth or water if skillet gets dry. Meanwhile, cook onion and remaining garlic in oil in heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium high and stir in ground beef and 1/2 t of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with their juice, cranberries, vinegar, and brown sugar and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with spoon, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt.

Pour sauce into skillet with cabbage and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley.

No comments: