Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili




My search for recipes containing oranges continued and I came across this recipe for Vegetarian Black Bean Chili. I decided to use this recipe to cook up a batch of black beans. As the black beans were cooking though, I realized they were a little spicy for my kids, so I used an equivalent of 2 cans of home-cooked and 1 can of store bought beans.

It turned out great! It wasn't really vegetarian since my home-cooked beans were cooked in bacon grease, but we're not vegetarians so that wasn't a problem. We all enjoyed it, except for J who has decided he's not a big bean fan (however, now M is. I am convinced they trade off liking foods just to vex me!). The toppings were definitely a plus for the meal. This serves 4 - 6.

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
adapted from Bon Appetit

2 oranges
2 T olive oil
2 c chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, pressed
2 - 4 t chili powder (adjust according the the black beans you are using. Mine were spicy so I didn't add any chili powder)
4 t ground cumin
2 t ground cinnamon
3 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained (or the equivalent of home-cooked black beans, about 5 1/4 c)
2 (14.5-oz) cans diced tomatoes in juice

crushed tortilla chips
grated cheddar cheese
sour cream or plain yogurt
chopped fresh cilantro
hot sauce


Grate enough orange peel to measure 1 1/2 t. Juice oranges.

Heat oil in heavy large sauepan over medium high heat. Add onions; saute 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and spices. Add beans, tomatoes, and half of orange juice. Simmer over medium heat until heated through and flavors blend, stirring often, about 15 minutes.

Mix in orange peel and remaining orange juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with hot sauce, sour cream , chopped fresh cilantro, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips.

No comments: