Monday, May 24, 2010

Gnocchi with Tomato, Basil, and Olives


Gnocchi. Oh, be still my beating heart.

I love gnocchi. Some day, I will be bold and attempt to make homemade gnocchi (once I have a potato ricer). Until then, I'll buy the packages of dried gnocchi in the store and be more than content.

I made this recipe in the easiest way possible. I used already made pasta sauce and packaged gnocchi. The recipe went together very quickly and was great, easy weeknight meal. The kids and I really enjoyed it. Curtis doesn't love gnocchi. I do though. He's stuck. This will serve only 3 (maybe 4 at the most) people.

Gnocchi with Tomato, Basil, and Olives
adapted from Lidia's Italian Table

2 T butter
1/2 c large green olives, pitted and just barely chopped
1 1/2 c tomato or pasta sauce
1 package gnocchi (8 oz, I believe)
1/2 c Parmesan, freshly grated
5 basil leaves, shredded
salt and black pepper, to taste

In a lg skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the olives and cook, stirring, until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.

Cook the gnocchi according to package directions in a large pot of boiling water over high heat. Return the sauce to a simmer over low heat. Add the cooked gnocchi and stir gently with a wooden spoon until coated. Stir in the grated cheese and basil. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.

No comments: