Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thai-style Stir Fry

This is another recipe from the Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. I adapted this one slightly to include some of the carrots accumulating in my refrigerator. The carrots added a nice color and flavor.

M and J weren't too fond of this, I am not quite sure why because it had two of M's favorite things in it; snow peas and tofu. Little I, Curtis, and myself rather enjoyed it though. Despite the big 2 not liking this, I think I will make it again--this seems to be recipe they should like, so maybe next time, they will.

This serves 4 - 6 people. I made some udon noodles to serve this with and it was wonderful!

Thai-style Stir Fry
from The Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook

1/4 c peanut butter
2 T soy sauce
2 T lime juice
1/3 c water
2 t sesame oil
2 T cornstarch
1/2 t red pepper flakes (optional)
12 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 -4 carrots (depending on size of carrot), sliced
1/2 lb snow peas, ends trimmed and strings pulled
8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
1 lb firm tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 c cilantro, chopped

In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce and lime juice until smooth. Add water, sesame oil, cornstarch and red pepper flakes, if using, and whisk until blended. Set aside.

Heat a couple of T of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and carrots and stir-fry until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the snow peas and continue to stir-fry until peas are crisp-tender, about 2 - 3 more minutes. Add the peanut butter sauce, water chestnuts and tofu and stir-fry until sauce thickens slightly and tofu is heated through.

Serve on top of rice or noodles. Sprinkle with cilantro.

1 comment:

Kate G. said...

Love that you are loving the WS cookbooks. I have the MayoClinic one and a bunch more, via my WS loving mom. You're welcome to borrow them. I look forward to seeing what you are cooking from them.. maybe it'll reinspire my cooking come next week.