Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Saffron and Golden Raisin Pilaf

We had this with our pineapple glazed chicken. Little I and I loved the flavors. I've discovered that while I can't tolerate normal raisins cooked in anything, golden raisins are quite good. Granted, I'm probably crazy and it probably all tastes the same, but I really think they are better. Both M and J ate some of this, but not quite as enthusiastically as Little I and me.

This doesn't take much longer than plain white rice to make, but it has so much more flavor. I'll definitely make this again. This serves 6 people.

Saffron and Golden Raisin Pilaf
from The Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook

1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 c white rice
1 c vegetable broth (or water)
2 c water
1/2 t ground pepper
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground allspice (optional)
1/2 c golden raisins
1/4 c dried currants (optional)
a pinch of saffron threads
2 T pine nuts, roasted

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and saute for another 2 minutes. Add the broth (if using), water, pepper, cinnamon, and allspice. Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Stir in the raisins, currants (if using), crumbled saffron, and 1 T pine nuts. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

Fluff rice with fork and serve hot. Garnish with remaining pine nuts.

No comments: