Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beauty Paste Chicken with Roasted Root Vegetables



I've been on a Turnip binge lately. It hasn't been out of choice. They've been collecting in my crisper drawer in the fridge for a few months now. Occasionally, I'll make my yummy braised root vegetables as a side, but I am not a side lover. I would rather find a main course that can incorporate as many vegetables and parts of the meal as possible. Since Friday, I've made Homespun Potpie (with kohlrabi, turnips, and sweet potatoes--hold the chicken), Moroccan Vegetable Stew, and Beauty Paste Chicken with roasted vegetables (which included turnips). All of these meals, I've really enjoyed. I don't mind turnips, I just have a hard time remembering to use them. Needless to say, after all of this turnip binging, I've put a significant dent in my turnip collection, however, it is far from gone.

The Beauty Paste chicken was easy and the roasted vegetables were great. I tried the roasted vegetables two ways--one on a separate sheet pan below the roasting chicken and the other was in the roasting pan with the chicken. I liked them both ways, but I think I may have slightly preferred the roasting pan over the sheet pan. The potatoes developed their rich, buttery taste more in the roasting pan (maybe because the chicken was coated in butter?). The vegetables didn't quite all fit in the roasting pan, so more than likely, I'll do it both ways again next time.

I can't go wrong with making chicken for my kids. I can't go wrong with making roasted vegetables for me. We loved it (Curtis wasn't home this evening). I am looking forward to make chicken stock today with the bones and am scheming about what I may make with the leftover chicken (enchiladas, anyone?).

I was hesitant about using 5 T mustard powder. I only used 3 T, because that was all I had. The chicken could definitely handle 5 - 6 T, and if you are feeling really bold, find hot mustard powder (I wasn't because of M's sensitive tastes). I also inadvertently forgot the celery, I think because I was so excited about using more turnips.

This serves 4 - 6.

Beauty Paste Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
adapted from SaySchwartzandBeSure on Food52.com

5 T soft (mostly but not quite melted) butter
5 - 6 T dry mustard powder
1 T fresh thyme leaves
fresh ground black pepper
1 roaster chicken (3 - 5 lbs)

3 carrots, sliced 1/4" thick
2 leeks, white parts only, sliced 1/2" thick
2 celery stalks, cut into 2" chunks
2 medium white turnips (about the size of apples), cut into wedges
12 new red or white potatoes
1 red or sweet onion, cut into wedges
1 t sea salt
1/2 - 1 t lemon zest
fresh ground pepper
1 - 2 T olive oil

yellow onion, cut into quarters

Wash inside and out of chicken. Trim access fat. Pat dry and set aside.

Combine softened butter and mustard powder in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in pepper and fresh thyme. (If you've accidently melted the butter, let the butter/mustard combo stand at room temperature for a while). Set aside.

Combine the carrots, leeks, celery, turnips, potatoes, and red onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Toss to equally coat all the vegetables.

Sprinkle the inside of the chicken generously with salt and pepper. Stuff with yellow onion quarters. Using your hand, scoop the beauty paste all over the chicken in a thick layer. (The paste is what crisps the skin and keeps the chicken moist, don't skimp on this. If you run out of paste, make more). Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Surround the chicken with as many vegetables as well fit (you want the vegetables in a single to double layer at most. Don't fill the pan to the top with vegetables). Put remaining vegetables on a sheet pan.

Roast the chicken in a preheated 400 degrees oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the the heat to 350 and roast an additional 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours, depending on size and kind of chicken (organic vs free range vs conventional), until internal temp in the thickest part (between the thigh and leg) is 180 degrees. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

For the vegetables on the sheet pan, stir occasionally and remove from oven once they are tender. Warm right before serving the chicken and combine with the vegetables cooked in the roasting pan.

No comments: