Saturday, February 26, 2011

Another Cabbage Salad aka Cabbage Slaw with Hot Bacon Dressing

In addition to turnips, cabbage is also ever present in my crisper drawer. Between cabbage and turnips, we are taking a break from renewing our CSA subscription--I need to get the cabbage and turnip take over under control before re-upping. I am getting there. I am down to less than 10 turnips (seriously, there were that many!) and half a head of cabbage. This recipe helped the cabbage problem.

I don't like cole slaw. Can't stand it. It's a funny thing. I love mayonnaise, so much, I like off the spoon or knife after getting some out of the container. But cole slaw--it too often ends up a gooey, runny mess. I get shivers (not the good kind--the fingernails on a blackboard kind) just thinking about.

I know I also have several cabbage salad recipes posted already. There's cabbage chicken salad, Asian cabbage salad, and cabbage salad for tacos and bahn mi. This one is different than the rest in that uses BACON! It made me think briefly about my Grandma Hess's Hot Bacon Dandelion Salad.

I loved it. Curtis wasn't home to try it (I sent it in his lunch today, we'll see what he thinks). The kids didn't try it, but I don't expect them to try cabbage salads. J and little I prefer their cabbage raw and unadorned. M doesn't eat it unless it's cooked.

This recipe will serve 6 as a salad.

Cabbage Slaw with Hot Bacon Dressing
adapted from Bon Appetit

3 oz bacon (2 thick farmers' market slices)
1/4 c onion, finely chopped (or shallots)
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c raisins
3 T balsamic vinegar
6 c (about 1/2 a head) of cabbage, red is preferable, green will do fine, thinly sliced
1/2 c sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 c parsley, chopped (optional)

Fry bacon in a skillet until browned and crispy. Remove from pan. Crumble into small pieces when cool enough to handle. Add onions to bacon drippings in the pan and saute until softened, about 3- 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbled bacon, raisins, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper (it won't need much salt thanks to the bacon). Place cabbage in a medium bowl. Pour bacon dressing over top of the cabbage and toss to coat. Let stand 5 - 10 minutes. Add almonds and parsley, if using. Toss to blend and adjust seasonings (salt and pepper) if necessary.

No comments: