Thursday, February 3, 2011

Polenta with Fried Eggs and Garlicky Swiss Chard


Having been a CSA member for almost 4 years now has definitely expanded my eating, and not only with vegetables. In the past, I wouldn't touch grits--a good Southern food my family didn't eat much of, being more of German/Pennsylvania Dutch persuasion than Southern. I tried them, I just wasn't sold. Then I started with the CSA and found recipes for my veggies over polenta, tried them, and liked them. Maybe it was the fancy Italian name of Polenta, maybe it was just that I was more adventurous eater than during my Virginia days. Whatever, the reason, I am a polenta convert.

Although Curtis and I liked this recipe, it was a fail in the eyes of my kids (who ended up eating a fried egg and leftovers from other meals). M especially isn't a polenta fan. I'll probably make it again, because thinking of this recipe makes me happy and hungry.

This serves 4. This is supposedly a breakfast for supper recipe. I am sure it would be delightful any time of the day, but it's perfect for a Sunday evening supper on a cold day.

Polenta with Fried Eggs and Garlicky Swiss Chard
adapted from In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite by Melissa Clark

4 1/2 c water or chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 c polenta (or grits), the slow-cooking, not quick cooking kind
3/4 t salt
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
2 bunches chard, stems removed, sliced into 1/4" strips
2 - 3 T extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
red pepper flakes, to taste
4 eggs

The easiest way to cut chard or other leafy greens (including herbs) is to make a stack of all the leaves.


Then, slice it into thin ribbons.


Bring the water or broth to a simmer in a large pot. Stir in the polenta and 3/4 t salt. Simmer the polenta, stirring frequently until it is thick (your discretion on how thick you would like it), somewhere between 5 - 20 minutes, depending on your polenta. Once the polenta is thickened to your taste, stir in butter, cheese, and a dash of black pepper, remove from heat, and cover to keep warm.

While the polenta is bubbly and thickening, heat 1 T oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chard and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt. Set aside until ready to eat.

Meanwhile (since we have three hands, right?), heat 1 T of olive oil in a large skillet or comal over medium heat. Fry the eggs until the edges are crispy and the yolks are still runny (you can break the yokes if you prefer them that way, like my family does).

To serve. Scoop some polenta onto plates. Top with chard, and then the fried egg.

1 comment:

Kate G. said...

Looking for dinner inspiration. I think I know what I'm eating. Now for the kids ;)