Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cherry-Orange Scones

Over the past couple of years of blogging, I've complained about not being able to make scones or biscuits. They've always tasted fine, but have not risen like I would like them to.

That complaining is over. All over.

I did it. I made perfect scones. I found a method that works and discovered that all I really need is for all of my children to be immersed in a PBSKids TV show. I then can give my undivided attention to the task at hand--making perfect scones.

I am so proud.

Cherry-Orange Scones
adapted from The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book

3 c flour
3 T sugar
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
zest of 1 orange
10 T unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 c cold buttermilk or sour milk
1/2 c dried tart cherries (or cranberries)
1/2 c dried apricots, chopped

In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest a few times. Add the butter. Pulse until butter is in coarse, pea-sized chunks. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in buttermilk all at once, until a sticky dough forms. Stir in apricots and cherries. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead the dough, just until it holds together nicely. The dough will be very soft. Press the dough into a rectangle about 1 1/2" thick Fold like a business letter (in thirds), overlapping the short sides in the middle. Pat out dough into a thick rectangle and divide in half. Using a rolling pin, roll each half into a round 3/4" thick, 8" diameter circle. Cut each circle into 8 pieces.

Place wedges on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425 oven until the scones are golden brown, 16 - 18 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, cool, and eat.

No comments: