Thursday, March 31, 2011

Tuna, Artichoke and Olive Pasta


Some evenings, I just don't feel like cooking or eating what is on the menu for the evening. Often, I want something less complicated or less heavy than what I had planned. Those are the evenings I put a few words into epicurious, foodandwine.com, or google (with the new recipe function!) and sees what pops up.

In this instance it was "Artichokes and Pasta." I had a can of artichoke hearts that had been languishing in my pantry forever and I thought it was probably time. Epicurious didn't let me down. I ended up with an easy pasta dish that used all pantry items and was quick. The kids liked bits and pieces of it--I'm fine with them picking out what they don't like. This was honestly a 30 - 45 minute meal from finding the recipe to sitting at the table.

This serves 6 people easily.

Tuna, Artichoke and Olive Pasta
adapted from epicurious

1 lb small pasta (I used little bowties)
1 (13.5 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained
1/4 c drained and rinsed capers (optional--I didn't use because M doesn't like)
1/2 c pitted and chopped black olives
juice and zest of 1 lemon
12 - 13 oz of tuna, preferably in olive oil, drained
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c parsley, chopped

Bring water to a boil in a large pot and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine remaining ingredients. When pasta is done cooking, reserve 1/2 c of pasta cooking water and drain remaining water. Put the pasta in a large serving bowl and pour reserved pasta cooking water over top. Add the artichoke mixture, toss and serve.

No comments: