Thursday, January 26, 2012

Feel Good About Yourself Breakfast Quinoa

In this new year, I am trying to better control my caloric and sugar intake.  I partook too much over the holidays and I wasn't feeling great physically, so I decided it was time to be more intentional.

However, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy food.  For example, last night we went to friends' house for supper and I took dessert.  I had been craving Chocolate Bread Pudding so that's what I made.  As I poured 2 c of heavy cream and 2 c of whole milk (not lowfat or nonfat the recipe specifically said), I cringed, imagining what this would do to my daily sugar intake, especially when I knew I was going to top this with Bourbon Pecan Caramel Sauce.

Oh, did I enjoy that bread pudding.  It was so incredible.  I suspect I'll dream about it for awhile.  I left a great deal of the leftovers with my pregnant friend, so I wouldn't need to finish all of it myself, because I would.  And I would have totally enjoyed it too.

However, this morning I wanted something that would make me feel more nutritionally good about myself.  I needed something to help get me back on the straight and narrow, food wise.

This was my answer.  I found it on 101cookbooks.com--the food blog for people who love food and want to eat more healthily.  I must admit, I didn't love this recipe when I had it.  A little salt helped a bit.  What won me over though was the fact that 3 hours after breakfast I wasn't hungry.  That did wonders for the recipe and convinced me to make it again.

This will serve 2 (which is enough for that because the kids aren't impressed).

Breakfast Quinoa
from 101cookbooks.com

1/2 c milk
1/2 c water
1/2 c quinoa (red, black, white, doesn't matter)
1/4 t cinnamon
1 c fresh or frozen berries (of course fresh is best, but in January, frozen will do)
1/4 c chopped pecans, toasted if desired
dash of salt
2 t honey or agave nectar (optional--I left this off my accident and didn't miss it at all)

In a small saucepan, bring water, milk, and quinoa to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid.  While the quinoa cooks, toast the pecans in a preheated 325 degrees over for 5 or so minutes, until the pecans are fragrant.  Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon and berries (if you are using frozen berries, you may put it over low heat to keep the quinoa from becoming cold from the frozen berries).  Sprinkle with toasted pecans.  Feel good about yourself for the morning

No comments: