Friday, January 13, 2012

Thai Curry Chicken Soup

In my search for "healthier" recipes, I looked for ones that are full of flavor, loaded with veggies, and are unique.  As much as I love lentils and beans, I reach a saturation point after a while---two different lentil dishes plus their leftovers are about all I can handle.  While this didn't have as much veggies as some, it still fit my healthier label.

We loved this soup.  I greatly reduced the amount of spice in it so my kids would eat it and eat it M did!  (I've pretty much given up with the boys eating much for supper....I think they eat enough during the day that by supper they're not super hungry...I remember M doing the same thing, then along came kinder and changed it.  I've accepted the boys don't like anything I cook and M will eat almost anything because she is starving after school).

As is quickly becoming a trend, I want Asian flavored foods in the winter--something about fish sauce (of the Vietnamese nature), ginger, or star anise is comforting when it is cold.  This soup didn't have any of these, but I did get to use a little more of my Thai red curry paste.  The optional ingredients I didn't use, for obvious reasons if you know me (kids don't do spicy and I don't do corn).  There is no set time for this to simmer.  Like many soups, the leftovers are even better because the flavors had time to marry.

This should serve about 4 - 6.

Thai Curry Chicken Soup
adapted a bit from apartmentcooker on Food52.com

2 T olive oil
1/2 c onion, minced
1/2 c cilantro, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14-oz) can coconut milk
6 c chicken stock (or a combo of chicken stock and water)
2 t (you can use up to 2 T) red curry paste
zest and juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
1 T ginger, minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1-2 c mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 c corn kernels (optional)
1 1/2 c or so chicken, cooked and shredded

thinly sliced jalapenos
thinly sliced scallions
roughly chopped cilantro
lime wedges
avocado, thinly sliced (optional)

Heat 1 T olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook until softened.  Add the garlic and cilantro and cook until fragrant, about a minute more.  Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.  Add the red curry paste and zest and juice of lime.  Meanwhile, in a saute pan or skillet, heat the remaining T of olive oil over medium heat.  Add the jalapeno, if using, ginger, scallions, mushrooms, red bell pepper, corn, and chicken and cook until heated, 4 - 5 minutes.  Add to the broth.  Simmer until the mixture has reached desired flavor.  Season with salt.

To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with jalapenos, scallions, cilantro, lime, and avocado as desired.

No comments: