Saturday, January 21, 2012

So Much More than Beans and Rice

So for those of you who don't have kids, I am going to be brutally honest.  Kids are fickle, fickle things.  You think you know a kid's eating habits and then they go and change.  This change doesn't necessarily start over years or months.  This is a day to day sort of change.

Those who have been reading this blog since is conception many moons ago, may remember, if you have a memory like an elephant, that M is not a bean fan.  It often takes coercion, unless it is lentils which she loves.

Tonight, M ate only beans for supper.

Those who read my post two short posts ago may remember I said that my boys aren't eating my supper or liking my food.  Today, J ate a serving of supper and asked for more.  (Little I wouldn't touch, so at least someone is true to form).

I was less than excited about tonights' meal, part of our eat more healthy plan.  Beans and Rice.  Sigh.

This is so much more than beans and rice.  It's what my family called Mexican haystacks (tacos on rice), but all together different.  It's beans and rice go gourmet.  It's absolutely yummy.  I will make this again and next time, I'll be much more excited about making it.  If you want to simplify this, use 1 - 2 cans of black beans in place of the dried beans.  I prefer the dried beans because I better control the sodium content.

I changed up this recipe a bit.  The original was in Bon Appetit's January 2012 issue.

This will serve 4 in these proportions.

So Much More than Beans and Rice
adapted from Bon Appetit

1 c dried anasazi or black beans
1 T bacon grease or olive oil (guess which I used)
1/2 onion, diced
1 lg clove garlic, minced
1 c Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped
1/4 c chopped cilantro
1/2 lime juiced
2 T olive oil
1/3 c (about 1/2 of...) red bell pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t chili powder
1 t ground coriander
1/2 - 1 t ground cumin
1 1/2 c chicken broth
3 c cooked brown rice
1 c cooked, shredded chicken (using a rotisserie chicken is easiest.  Don't use frozen cooked chicken)

Cook anasazi or black beans.  Quick soak method (because I always forget to soak them overnight):  put the beans in a pot and cover with 3 inches of water.  Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat.  Let stand for an hour.  Drain.  In same pot, heat bacon grease or olive oil.  Saute the onion until it is soft and slightly browned.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.  Return the beans to the pan.  Cover with water (1 - 2 inches above the top of the beans/onions).  Cook for 40 minutes for adzuki beans, or until tender.  (Black beans will take a bit longer).

In a small bowl, combine  the apple, cilantro, and lime juice.  Set aside.

Heat 2 T olive oil in a saute pan or skillet.  Add the bell pepper and cook until tender, about 5 - 6 minutes.  Add the garlic, chili powder, coriander, and cumin and saute 1 - 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add beans and broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat just until the beans are simmering briskly (not past medium in my case).  Stir occasionally, smashing some beans with the back of a wooden spoon to help thicken the sauce.   Cook for 8 - 10 minutes.

To serve:  put a pile of rice on a plate.  Top with beans followed by chicken and then apple/cilantro salsa.  Season as desired with salt and pepper.

No comments: