Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gratin de Pommes de Terre et Saucisson

I don't even pretend to pronounce the name of this dish. I just whip out my fake Texas accent and say we're have Potato, Onion, and Sausage Gratin for supper. As you probably can figure out, this was another recipe from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I think I am finding all the easy recipes. :)

We all enjoyed it. Despite Julia instructing us not to, I think next time I make this I will try substituting milk for cream to cut down a little bit on the calories/fat. The filling was very, very light and the consistency was wonderful, which I suspect will change with milk. I probably didn't use the sausage she had in mind either (she suggested Kielbasa/Polish sausage). I had philly cheesesteak sausage on hand, so that's what I used (and man was it yummy!).

Gratin de Pommes de Terre et Saucisson

from Mastering the Art of French Cooking

2/3 c onions, minced
2 T butter
1/2 lb raw potatoes, thinly sliced
1 sausage (about 4- 6 oz)
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c whipping cream
1/2 t salt
1/4 c Swiss cheese, grated

Cook the onions slowly in butter for 5 minutes or until tender, but not browned. Meanwhile, cook the sausage (grill or in pan) and slice once cooked. Drop potatoes in boiling water and cook for 6 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Butter the bottom of a 9" pie plate. Spread half of the potatoes on the bottom, then half of the cooked onions. Over them spread the sausage, then the rest of the onions, and finally the remaining potatoes. Beat the eggs, cream, and salt together. Pour over teh potatoes and shake the dish to send liquid to the bottom. Spread on the cheese. Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated 375 degrees oven on a rack in the upper third of the oven, until top is nicely browned.

No comments: