Saturday, August 8, 2009

Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches

I remember eating pimiento cheese sandwiches in the cafeteria during elementary school. The sandwiches I remember were neon orange and always served with tomato soup. They were nasty. Always, always, someone threw up on pimiento cheese and tomato soup day (I am not kidding--I remember!).

These sandwiches taste nothing like that. They shouldn't even share a name with the sad, excuse for a sandwich we were served. These are great, especially when prepared like a grilled cheese sandwich when everything gets all melty and gooey. The original recipe recommends putting bacon and fresh tomato slices on the sandwich as well. I didn't do that, but I can imagine it would be divine.

I don't know what my family members think of these. I haven't shared. These have been my own personal lunch this week, except for one bite I had to share with J whose begging I couldn't resist. His response was Mmmm. I didn't offer him a second bite. I wanted to keep my sandwich.

Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches
from Bon Appetit

2 c coarsely grated sharp Cheddar cheese (a combination of white and yellow cheddar is recommended, I didn't have both so I just used yellow).
1/2 c drained pimientos, finely chopped
1/4 c mayonnaise
whole wheat bread

Mix cheese, pimientos, and mayonnaise in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Butter one side of two pieces of whole wheat bread. Put bread butter side down on a frying pan or griddle. Top with a liberal layer of pimiento cheese. Put other piece of bread, butter side up, on top. Grill until bread is browned and cheese is melted, flipping once.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I have never thought to make my own pimiento cheese!! That's too awesome. And so simple even I couldn't mess it up! :)

Michelle said...

we had this for dinner last night and it was great, but I add half of a jalepano chopped up. Yum-o!!!