Monday, December 28, 2009

Chicken in Dill Mustard Sauce

Mmm...fresh dill. Problem is, I think of dill with summer dishes like cucumbers. No cucumbers here in December. I was excited to find this recipe--it was easy and adaptable for kids (I just left off the dill sauce). I used 1 lb of chicken breasts instead of the chicken legs and kept the rest of the proportions the same.

Curtis and I thought it was really good. I'll make this again next time I have dill in December. I served it over rice and with a side salad.

Chicken in Dill Mustard Sauce
adapted from Gourmet

1/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
4 whole chicken legs (2 lbs) or 1 lb chicken breasts
3 T oil
3/4 c onions, chopped
1/2 c white wine
1 c chicken broth or water
2 t dijon mustard
1/4 c fresh dill, chopped

Stir together flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Pat chicken dry, then dredge, 1 at a time in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in 12" heavy skillet over moderate high heat until hot. Brown chicken, skin sides down first, turning over once, 6 - 8 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a plate, then pour off all but 1 T fat from skillet. Add onions to skillet and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 2 - 3 minutes. Add wine and deglaze skillet by boiling, stirring, and scraping up brown bits. Add broth, mustard, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then return chicken to skillet, skin sides up, along with any juices from the plate, and cook over moderate heat, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes (10 - 15 minutes for chicken breasts). Transfer chicken to a platter and boil sauce until reduced to about 1 c and slightly thickened, about 3 - 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in dill, then pour sauce over chicken (or serve beside chicken if it is questionable if everyone will like the sauce).

2 comments:

Carla said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited to have stumbled across your blog! You can't tell by the exclamation points or anything, huh? :)

I volunteered at Johnson's Backyard Farm for several months, but had to quit because of a health condition. I was so excited when they opened up their waiting list to add new members. I can finally have fresh, local veggies again from my favorite farm.

Your blog appeals to me for two reasons--I am forever asking myself, "What should we have for dinner this week?" The second reason is, I am always looking for ways to use the veggies that come in "the box" each week.

I look forward to wandering aimlessly in your recipes and using them at will. Thanks so much for helping to answer the perennial question--What's for Dinner.

Sharon D said...

I made this for dinner tonight with my dill from the CSA box and served it with brown rice. My kids and husband dubbed it a "keeper." Thanks for a delicious dinner!