Thursday, January 28, 2010

Japanese Noodles with Bok Choy and Tofu

I love well cooked udon noodles. They make me happy. Since we've had so much meat in our diet lately, I thought it was time to find another protein for a change. M and J were quite excited to have tofu again (which M calls seaweed). Baby I also really liked it.

I didn't have enough bok choy for this: we got only one small head of bok choy in our box this week. To make up for that, I added broccoli. In retrospect, I thought I should have added some thinly matchsticked carrots as well. Like any stir-fry, you can substitute whatever vegetables you have for those you don't. I think next time I may try adding the tofu before the bok choy as well.


Japanese Noodles with Bok Choy and Tofu

adapted from Bon Appetit

1/4 c soy sauce
2 T balsamic vinegar
2 T honey
2 T oriental sesame oil
8 green onions, chopped
2 lg garlic cloves, minced
1 T minced, peeled fresh ginger
2 heads bok choy, bottom third discarded, leaves thickly sliced (or substitute/add broccoli)
12 - 16 oz extra firm tofu, pressed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
12 oz udon noodles, freshly cooked

Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and 1 T sesame oil in a small bowl to blend. Heat remaining 1 T oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and finger and stir 30 seconds. Add bok choy (and other vegetables--if using carrots, add before bok choy) and saute until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Mix in tofu, then noodles and sauce. Stir to coat noodle mixture with sauce. Cook until tofu and noodles are heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments: