Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mexican Sandwich

I needed a new avocado recipe after I didn't use my avocado with chicken breasts. I found this sandwich recipe, and paired with honeydew melon, it made a great Sunday evening supper. I didn't bother offering M any. She asked for some, but as I listed the ingredients, she agreed, her grilled chicken breast and cheese sandwich seemed a lot better. J, Curtis, and I all really liked it though. It reminded me a lot of really good black bean taco or tostada except on bread instead of a tortilla, so I renamed it from the original name (Market Sandwich).

I used the cilantro lime mayonnaise I made for my roasted potatoes earlier in the week and just added a chopped chipotle in adobo. It made the recipe easier (not that it was difficult anyway) and helped use up something I was unsure how I was going to use it.

Mexican Sandwich
adapted from SELF magazine courtesy of Lake Austin Spa Resort

1/2 c white vinegar
1 c thinly sliced red onions
1 c canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 t ground cumin
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 t canned chipotle in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 T fresh lime juice
6- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
2/3 c goat cheese
1 med. avocado, thinly sliced
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tomato, cut into 8 slices

Boil 1 c water with vinegar in small saucepan. Add onion, turn off heat, and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain. Puree beans and cumin in blender or food processor. Mix mayo, chipotle, and lime juice in a bowl (or use leftover cilantro lime mayo from Roasted Potatoes. Add chipotle to already made cilantro-lime mayo). Spread on 3 or 4 slices of bread. Top remaining slices with bean puree, onion, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and tomato (I didn't have a tomato so I omitted it and it was just fine). Close sandwiches and serve.

No comments: