Thursday, July 30, 2009

Squash Yeast Rolls

I got a giant zucchini in the box yesterday and was planning on hamburgers for supper. I needed buns (and it turned out, a whole lot more, but that's a different story) and decided to make my own rolls using my giant zucchini. When using large zucchini, it is helpful to scoop the seeds out of the zucchini (just because they are so large and may affect texture). To scoop out the seeds, cut the zucchini in half and using a spoon, scoop out the seeds (like a cucumber).

I don't peel my zucchini for this recipe, I like the flecks of green in the rolls. However, if you are trying to sneak one by someone, peel the zucchini. You can also use yellow summer squash interchangeably--I pretty much use whatever we have on hand. I didn't have dry milk powder (also known as powdered milk) so I left it out. It didn't change taste or texture considerably, but I did use a lot more flour than usual.

These were a hit. M asked what the green was and I hesitantly told her. Her response caught me off guard---Mmmm....zucchini. The rolls are that good. They were great for hamburgers and we plan on using them for pulled pork on Sunday as well. The recipe will make 12 hamburger sized buns or 24 dinner roll.

Squash Yeast Rolls
From Simply in Season

2 -3 c zucchini and/or summer squash, shredded
1 c water
1/2 c sugar
3 T olive oil
1 c bread flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c dry milk powder
2 T active dry yeast
additional 2 - 3 c bread flour

Combine squash, water, sugar, oil, and salt in a saucepan and heat slowly until warm (still cool enough you can stick your comfortably stick your finger in the water), stirring to blend. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 c bread flour, whole wheat flour, milk powder, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Add liquid ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in enough additional flour (2 - 3 c) to make a soft dough. The dough will be very sticky. Knead on a lightly floured surface 8 - 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, turn to grease both sides, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down and let rise 10 minutes. Shape into rolls and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 15 - 20 minutes. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees oven for 25 - 35 minutes. Brush with milk for a soft crust (I never do this step....) and let stand 5 - 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.

No comments: