Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kale and Cannellini Ragout


I took advantage of what may be on of the our last cool days the other day and made some Kale and Cannellini Ragout. It is a mix between a soup and a stew. I know I have lots of kale and cannellini recipes. This is by far the easiest and yet another a version on a great combination of foods.

I made this for the kids and I. They usually eat the kale and cannellini soups pretty well. M wasn't too sure about it, but I informed her that kale was a super food and the best part of the soup for her. That was enough to sway her and she decided that she liked kale, especially with an ample dousing of Parmesan cheese on top. I didn't have Italian bread, so I used pumpernickel (it's what I had!). I'd use pumpernickel again if I happened to have it. This makes 4 servings.

Kale and Cannellini Ragout
from Bon Appetit

6 T extra virgin olive oil
4 1 1/2-inch thick slices Italian (or other good) bread, cut into cubes
1 t plus 1 T fresh thyme, chopped (optional)

3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 t dried crushed red pepper (optional)
5 c (packed) kale, thinly sliced
1 (14 oz) can vegetable or chicken broth (2 cups)
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can cannellini beans, drained

Toss bread cubes with 1 t thyme and 2 T oil in a large bowl. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven until bread cubes are crispy, turning occasionally. Meanwhile, add remaining 4 T olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper (if using) to a soup pot. Saute over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add kale and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, beans, and remaining 1 T thyme. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with croutons and sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese to serve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this super-simple soup was fabulous! And, it used an entire week's worth of kale. I didn't bother with the bread crumbs (and we're gluten-free so they wouldn't have been as good as yours anyway) and it was perfect. Thanks for another delicious recipe.

I'm trying this rutabaga recipe tonight--got rave reviews:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-Carrots-and-Rutabaga/Detail.aspx