Monday, March 1, 2010

Rutabaga and Carrot Soup


For the first time ever, I saw and owned a rutabaga this week. In our CSA box was a large, white and purplish, somewhat hairy root vegetable. I named it a rutabaga and set out in search of a recipe.

My epicurious searches weren't turning up anything I was interested in---just mashed potatoes with rutabaga snuck in types of recipes (ok, there were more than that, but I just didn't find them interesting). I thought that surely some culture somewhere had rutabaga's as part of their every day diet. Sure enough, my Sundays at Moosewood cookbook helped me (an awesome vegetarian cookbook). Turns out Finns (as in from Finland) eat rutubagas and had a soup just for me. This also fit in my cooking the Olympics goal.

I haven't tried this on anyone but baby I and myself. I've been eating it for lunches and enjoying it. The cookbook recommends adding a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and a orange-cranberry sauce. I didn't do this. I would have liked to, but it just didn't happen amidst birthday preparations for J, who just turned 3. This soup is healthy--very low fat and low cholesterol and made me feel better about eating a Krispy Kreme doughnut (or was it 2? I am not admitting anything!). Baby I isn't quite sure what he thinks about this---he kinda makes a face for the first couple bites because of the tartness, but after that, he eats it just fine.

Rutabaga and Carrot Soup
from Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant

1 medium onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
3 small carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small - medium rutabaga, peeled and chopped (about 2 c, but I may have used more than that)
1/2 t salt
1 c vegetable or chicken stock (not chicken if you want to keep this vegetarian, but I didn't care)
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t nutmeg
2 c orange juice
freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes, until translucent but not browned. Add the carrots, rutabaga and salt. Saute for another 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add the stock (or water) and cook, covered, on low heat for 20 - 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft. Add ginger and nutmeg. Puree in blender or food processor with the orange juice until smooth and thick. Season with black pepper to taste. Serve with orange cranberry sauce and a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream, if desired.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I also get a JBG box and enjoy your blog. Had a rutabaga recipe I thought you might like. It's for oven-roasted root vegetables au gratin.

Dice some fall vegetables. (The original recipe calls for 2-3 parsnips, 1 red pepper and 1 red onion, 1 peeled butternut squash and a few carrots. I always use the first three but then substitute whatever I have around--sweet potatoes, radish, beets, turnips, rutabaga, etc.) You want 5 different types at a minimum, I think.

Toss with olive oil, s & p and roast in oven (350 I think) for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

Coat 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Cut premade polenta tube into 12 slices and lay on the bottom of pan. Spoon vegetable mixture on top. Drizzle with 1/4 c half and half. Top with 1/2 c of shredded asiago cheese. Place some sprigs of thyme on top. Bake for 20 minutes at 350.

Melani said...

Great suggestion! Thanks! I'll need to try that. :)

Kate G. said...

hey, i have a similar soup from another moosewood cookbook, carrot and sweet potato. Bet you could also add rutabaga (or add sweet potato to yours) for a change.

I made empanadas with rutabagas. Diced rutabaga with nutmeg, cinnamon onions and potatoes put in a empanada dough. kids actually ate it that way...