Monday, March 15, 2010

Turnip and Pear Soup

This is another Sundays at Moosewood Finnish puree. I am not a huge fan of pears, but I think it is mostly the texture, because I loved this soup. Like the rutabaga and orange soup, I didn't try to serve this to anyone besides baby I and myself. We both loved it. This soup successfully cleaned out all the turnips that had been multiplying in my fridge. This yields 4 cups of soup.

Turnip and Pear Soup
Sundays at Moosewood

1 med onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
3 med-lg turnips, peeled and chopped (3 c worth)
2 lg pears, peeled, cored, and chopped (3 c worth)
1 t dried thyme
1/2 t salt
1 1/4 c vegetable stock or water
1/4 t nutmeg
1 1/2- 2 c pear or apple juice
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

In a large saucepan, saute the onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes, until translucent but not browned. Add the turnips, pears, thyme, and salt. Saute for another 10 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add the stock (or water) and cook, covered, on low heat for 20 - 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and soft. Add the nutmeg. Puree in blender or food processor with the pear juice until smooth and thick. Season with black pepper to taste.

No comments: