Monday, May 25, 2009

Asian Cabbage Slaw

This is a great side using cabbage. I've learned my problem with cabbage slaws tend to be the mayonnaise in them (which is interesting because normally, I can eat mayo straight out of the jar!). We made this to eat with a ginger snap pea stir fry that someone brought us for supper. I use the optional ingredients as I have them available. I've left all of them out and just used cabbage and it's great.

Asian Cabbage Slaw

4 c red cabbage, grated
2 c carrots, peeled and grated (optional)
3/4 c red bell peppers, diced (optional)
2 fresh green chiles, seeded and minced (optional)
1 -2 green onions
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T fresh cilantro, minced

Dressing
2 T olive oil
2 T sesame oil
3 T rice vinegar
2 T orange juice
1 T mirin or dry sherry
1 T soy sauce
3 T sugar

Place salad ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss thoroughly. Taste, and if needed, add a pinch of salt or more vinegar. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.

No comments: