Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crispy Black Bean Tacos

The task of using all my cabbage continued with this recipe. I used both red and white (actually half of my savoy cabbage) to make the slaw. I fried my own tortillas, but have mixed feelings about it. It definitely would have been a lot faster (and crispier) to use store bought taco shells. Yet, I liked the more authentic taste of doing my own. I think I probably will try to fry my own next time as well, although I'll probably contemplate it first. I also made an alternate filling---browned hamburger for M, knowing she wouldn't eat anything from this meal otherwise. I topped the hamburger filling with cheddar cheese instead of feta. The hamburger filling is harder to manipulate in the frying tortillas than black beans though. The hamburger filling also let us make twice as much as the recipe called for (we each ate 2 tacos).

Crispy Black Bean Tacos
(adapted from Bon Appetit, February 2009)

1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained
1/2 t ground cumin
5 t olive oil, divided
1 T fresh lime juice
2 c cabbage, shredded
2 green onions chopped
1/3 c fresh cilantro
4 corn tortillas
1/3 c feta cheese, crumbled

Place beans and cumin a small bowl and partially mash. Mix 2 t olive oil and lime juice in a separate medium bowl. Add cabbage, onions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat 3 t olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas (as many as will fit) in a single layer. Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture into onto half of each tortilla. Cook 1 minute. Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Fill tacos with feta and slaw. Top with hot sauce or salsa if desired (Chipotle tabasco is really good on that).

Makes 2 servings

No comments: