Friday, May 22, 2009

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad


I think I am coming around with beets. I like this
recipe quite well. Maybe it's the addition of goat cheese. Goat cheese makes about anything better. Curtis also really like it. The kids, not so much, but I wasn't really surprised. Next time, I think I will increase the amount of red wine vinegar I use.

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad

4 - 6 medium size beets
3 T extra virgin olive oil
kosher salt
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c goat cheese
a bed of salad greens (I used both arugula and spinach)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash the beets and trim the tops off of them. Toss with extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt. Place the beets on a piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet and make a pouch for them, sealing it tightly. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour (or until they pierce easily with a fork). Remove from the oven and let the beets for 10 minutes. Open the pouch and let the beets cool slightly. Peel the outer skins off the beets. Dice the beets.

Combine beets, onions, vinegar, and olive oil. Arrange the beets over the bed of salad greens. Sprinkle the cheese on and around the beets. Serve at room temperature.

No comments: