Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ginger Zucchini Cupcakes

I have started my ever constant summer search of Zucchini recipes I like and the family will eat. I experimented with two this weekend--this is the first of those. I am not a big ginger in desserts fan (ginger in stir-fry, etc, oh yeah!! But desserts, no thanks). I ate one and didn't dislike it, I just wouldn't go for another. Curtis thought the icing made them a lot better. It was worth the try and possibly a repeatable recipe if I have people to share them with.

In terms of zucchini recipes, they are a pretty good deal. They use 2 c of grated zucchini (which you can grate using a box grater or a food processor) and made only 12 cupcakes. You can find crystallized ginger in the Asian section of the grocery store.

Ginger Zucchini Cupcakes
from Gourmet magazine
1/3 c crystallized ginger (1 3/4 oz), coarsely chopped
2 c flour
1 t ground ginger
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t finely grated fresh orange zest
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
2 c zucchini, coarsely grated
3/4 c mild olive oil
3/4 c honey
2 large eggs, beaten
1 t vanilla

Frosting
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c confectioners sugar
1 t vanilla
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t finely grated fresh orange zest


Pulse crystallized ginger in food processor until finely ground, then add flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, zest, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and pulse until combined. Whisk together zucchini, oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl, then stir in flour mixture until just combined. Divide batter among 12 muffin cups lined with muffin papers and bake on the center rack of a preheated 350 degrees oven until golden and wooden pick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 - 24 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely, 1 hour.

For the frosting: Beat together frosting ingredients with an electric mixer at high speed until combined well and fluffy, about 3 - 5 minutes. Frost tops of cooled cupcakes.

1 comment:

Jason said...

From someone who LOVES ginger in desserts... These are SO GOOD! I only had a few inches of zucchini left (after making Paula Deen's zucchini bread), so I only made a half recipe. I didn't have any cream cheese, so I skipped the frosting. ...now I need to go get more zucchini so that I can make more!