Saturday, September 5, 2009

Pasta with Mushrooms

I got a new cookbook for my birthday a couple of days ago (no, I didn't just have a birthday--my birthday is in May---my brother is just slow with presents, in fact, that's how everyone in family rolls!). I was quite excited to dive into it because it was one of those cookbooks that doesn't just have recipes, but teaches you how to cook and why to do what you do. I quickly found a recipe for supper I thought everyone would eat, was light, was easy, and I had all the ingredients for (light has been a theme for me this week after my week long beef fest when my cousins were here).

Like I expected, everyone loved it. J didn't eat the mushrooms, but M and I thought it was great. Curtis didn't love it, but he did say it was "repeatable."

Pasta with Mushrooms
from How to Cook Everything, Revised Edition by Mark Bittman

1/2 lb fresh mushrooms (shitake were recommended, I used plain ole white mushrooms), sliced or cut into chunks
3 T plus 1/2 T olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 T minced garlic
1/2 pound dried pasta (I thought a chunky pasta like farfalle would go well)
1/4 c pasta cooking water or other broth
1/4 c fresh parsley, chopped

Put 3 T of oil in medium skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until mushrooms have released their juices and the juice has evaporated. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two. Set aside (turn off heat). Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente in a pot of boiling water. When it is almost finished add the 1/4 c pasta cooking water to the mushrooms and gently reheat. Drain the pasta and toss it with the mushrooms and parsley. Drizzle with the remaining 1/2 T olive oil and grate Parmesan cheese over top (optional).

No comments: