Sunday, October 11, 2009

Eggplant and Arugula Open Faced Sandwich


The hummus I posted about yesterday was made as a base for my sandwich. I got so much eggplant in my box this week and eggplant just doesn't keep well so I looked for lots of different ways to cook it. I discovered this recipe on Epicurious and it looked like a great way to change things up a bit.

I loved this sandwich. Curtis wasn't home when we had it and the kids don't like eggplant or arugula well enough to have wanted to try it. That was ok with me. It's a great lunch sandwich because you can make as much or as little as you want, just change the amounts proportionally.

Eggplant and Arugula Open Faced Sandwich
adapted from Epicurious

1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2" slices lengthwise
olive oil
1 c baby arugula
1 - 2 oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
hummus
a thick bread (I used sourdough, any good bread would work)

Brush both sides of eggplant slices with oil. (I didn't use the ends with lots of skin on them because I've found the skins too tough to eat). Broil or grill until very tender and golden, about 8 minutes, checking periodically so they don't burn. Meanwhile, mix one cup of arugula with the sun-dried tomatoes.

To assemble the sandwich, spread hummus over piece of bread. Follow with generous layer of arugula/tomato mixture. Top with grilled eggplant (remove skin, if desired before putting on sandwich).

Yields: two open faced sandwiches (which was just enough for me at lunch).

No comments: