Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hummus


I've made hummus for years, but have never quite been satisfied with it. Either the texture was wrong, usually on the very thick side, or the taste wasn't quite right. I think I've finally found my recipe.

Hummus recipes have all the same, basic ingredients: chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, and garlic. The secret to good hummus is the balance of it all. The key to this recipe is not draining and rinsing the chickpeas (if you popped open a can like I did). When you put the chickpeas in the food processor, dump the juices in with it. Perfect consistency.

M and J love hummus. I made mine a little too garlicky (next time I'll just put in one clove), but in between telling me it was "hot" the licked their plates clean. It made a great lunch paired with cucumbers from our CSA, grapes, and bread.

Hummus
slightly adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

2 c canned chickpeas (with cooking liquid)
1/2 c tahini
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled
juice of 1 lemon
salt, to taste
1 t ground paprika, or to taste

Put all ingredients but salt and paprika in a food processor. Process until smooth. Taste and add salt and paprika as desired. Serve.

No comments: