Sunday, October 18, 2009

Spinach and Feta Focaccia

(Sorry no picture---the picture was taken but not remembered thanks to no memory card in the camera...)

I feel like my cooking has been rather hit or miss lately. I guess that's because I've been trying a lot of new things--either ingredients or recipes. Some how, I managed to mess up a tried and true recipe, thanks to using a new ingredient. Let me tell you about it.

Since we didn't get a box this week, I shopped more at the Farmers' Market last weekend. I was drawn in by a stand with a sign that said SPINACH. Spinach in October? Delightful!! I asked for a pound and was taken aback when I saw them filling a white kitchen garbage back with leaves that looked like spinach, but not spinach looking stalks. I asked them about it and they said it was spinach--Malabar spinach. I took their word for it and bought it, despite having reservations.

Let me just say, malabar spinach is NOT the same thing as regular spinach. I looked up on wikipedia and sure enough they aren't even in the same family. I was sad because dinner did not end up tasting like it should of. The malabar spinach tasted like cow manure (in my humble opinion). I will not be buying that again at the farmer's market. Nonetheless, J and M loved the spinach and feta foccacia. This is one my favorite quick, easy dishes, so I am including the recipe even though this time around, it was a complete flop. You can use either a store bought pizza crust or make your own. I do both with equal frequency depending on how much time I have and my energy.

Spinach and Feta Focaccia
adapted from Cooking Light magazine
Serves 4 - 6

1 T olive oil
1/2 c onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz spinach, washed and coarsely chopped
3/4 c feta cheese, crumbled
3 T pine nuts
2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 t fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 t salt
1 (13.8-oz) tube pizza crust dough (or a recipe of homemade pie crust dough)
1 T milk
1 T water
1/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated

Heat oil in lg skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute one minute. Add half of spinach and cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Add remaining spinach, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and stir in feta, pine nuts, lemon juice, oregano, and salt. Place pizza dough on a greased baking sheet and pat to cover pan. Spread the spinach mixture lengthwise over half the dough, leaving a 1/2" border. Fold other half of the dough over top and press together edges. Cut 5 1-inch diagonal slits in top of dough. Combine milk and water and brush evenly over dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake in a preheated 450 degrees oven for 15 minutes or until golden.

No comments: