Thursday, October 1, 2009

Potato Gratin

In my search for a vegetable for supper, I remembered my large basket of potatoes. We had the potato gratin with the pulled chicken sandwiches. Curtis and I both liked it--I thought it was improved with a few sprinkles of chipotle Tabasco sauce over top. M decided she didn't like potatoes and cheese together, so she didn't try it. A mandoline made slicing the potatoes easy---you can find them for $30 or less at stores (no need for anything fancy--basic will do for the likes of potatoes, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, etc). (The Potato Gratin is pictured with Pulled Chicken Sandwiches)

Potato Gratin
adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

1 1/2- 2 c cream, half and half, milk or a combination
1 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 c grated cheese (I used a Fontina and Swiss mixture, because that's what I had--the recipe recommended Gruyere. I think cheddar would be mighty tasty too!)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 T fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Put the cream in a pot and heat until it's hot. Layer the potatoes and cheese, ending with the cheese, in a lg gratin or small casserole dish (I used a 1 1/2 qt oval). Sprinkle every potato layer with a bit of salt, pepper, and thyme leaves. Pour in enough hot cream to come about 3/4 of the way up the potato layers. Bake in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 45 - 50 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and the potatoes are tender. Serve immediately or keep warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes.

No comments: