Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cabbage Chicken Salad

I don't do coleslaw---something about the mayo/cabbage combo and my general wariness with cabbage. The cabbage was multiplying in my fridge and I had to do something. Enter an easy cabbage salad. Curtis and I loved it. The vinegar (and a little extra added salt on my part) masked the cabbage flavor well enough for me to really like it. The kids picked the chicken out, but I suspect on a day they were hungrier, they may eat the cabbage too. The recipe is simple, has basic ingredients and is a great way to make at least 1/2 a head of cabbage disappear. I didn't use any of the optional ingredients.

Cabbage Chicken Salad

1 lb chopped cooked chicken (I baked a couple of chicken breasts to use)
4 c thinly sliced cabbage
1 t salt
1 1/2 - 2 T rice vinegar
1 T sugar
2 - 3 T cilantro or parsley, chopped
3 green onions, chopped (optional)
1/2 c peanuts, coarsely chopped (optional)

Sprinkle the salt over the cabbage, rub in, and allow to stand for several minutes. Combine remaining ingredients and serve.

No comments: