Thursday, October 23, 2008

Butternut Squash Bisque with Bok Choy Salad and fresh whole wheat Bread


As I've mentioned earlier, I've been searching for the perfect butternut squash bisque for a couple of years now. I think with a few adjustments I may have finally found my soup.

I combined two recipes--one from Whole Foods and one from About.com: French Food. I sauted 1/2 a chopped large onion and 1/2 T minced fresh ginger (I will decrease that amount next time---use only 1/2 - 1 t instead) in a soup pot for 5 minutes. I added 1 1/2 lbs peeled and chopped butternut squash and 2 large chopped carrots and sauted the veggies for another 3 minutes. Then I added 2 1/4 c chicken stock and 1 T orange zest (again, I will decrease that amount next time to probably 1 t) and brought everything to boil. I lowered the heat, covered the pot, and simmered for about 30 minutes (or until all carrots and squash are tender). Then I added 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley, a dash of nutmeg and about 1/2 t sea salt. I transfered the soup to my food processor and pureed the mixture until it is smooth and creamy (a hint about pureeing hot ingredients in a blender or food processor---take the the cap in the center of the lid out---that will allow the heat to escape without the spewing soup everywhere. I am speaking from experience!). Put it back in the soup pot and add 1 c of heavy cream (Whole Foods recipe stops before adding the cream, but the cream makes the soup thicker). Heat until the bisque is hot. Garnish with croutons (we used Central Market croutons because I was too lazy tonight to make those too).

I also made a bok choy salad to go with it and a loaf of rustic whole wheat bread. I found the bread recipe online and as I made it, I realized it didn't make a lot of sense---the process was much different than typical bread recipes and the ingredients contained no oil or no sugar, which was also very unusual. I won't repeat the recipe so I am not going to post it.

The kids didn't like the bisque. They ate bread with homemade jelly on top. Curtis and I loved the bisque and we enjoyed a nice complete meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and loved it. Thanks Mel!

Laura May said...

I doubled the recipe last night then took it to the holiday potluck today at my office. I just put it in the crockpot about 20 minutes before the lunch. It was super easy (and good).

Thanks, Melani!!!!