Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash

The title of the recipe is a little deceptive. I didn't use any acorn squash in this recipe. From my best guess I used a sweet dumpling squash and possibly a carnival or kobucha (or maybe a turban squash---but I don't think the turban part of it was pronounced enough for that) squash. The larger one was the one I pegged as the carnival squash. I am glad I stuck to two different squashes instead of using two little orange ones like my first inclination was. The larger squash had much more "meat" in it, the orange didn't really have any squash insides to eat. It was very stringy and didn't appear to be very edible. (or maybe I did something wrong...no...couldn't be that!)

How I got from the top picture to the bottom picture. First time I tried to cut the squash in half I could barely get my knife in. So I pierced the skin of the squash with the knife and microwaved it for 1 minute. After that it was easier to cut in half. I scooped the seeds and strings out of both halves and placed them cut side down on a cookie sheet. I baked them in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes until they were soft inside but not mushy.

While the squash baked, I made the filling. I sauted 1 lb of bulk (also called breakfast sausage---not links or patties but it cooks more like ground beef) in a skillet. I added one chopped onion and one chopped green apple (I actually added two because they weresmall) and sauted until they were just tender (again, not mushy). While those cooked, in a separate bowl I combined 2 c toasted bread cubes (I toasted 3 slices of the whole wheat bread I had on hand and then cut it into cubes), as many pecans as I had (the recipe calls for 3/4 c---I didn't have that much so I used the little bit I had), 3/4 c raisins, 1 - 2 T sour cream or plain yogurt, 1 t fresh chopped thyme (1/4 t dried), 1 t fresh chopped oregano (1/4 t dried), and 1/4 t dried basil.

At this point, I had to leave to go to soccer. The squash was done in the over so I left it to cool on the counter, I put the sausage/onions/apples in the refrigerator, and left the bread cube mixture (minus the sour cream) on the counter as well. When I got home, I preheated the oven to 375 and combined the bread cube mixture (plus the sour cream) and sausage mixture and then stuffed each squash half. I baked them for 20 minutes.

On the side we had kale gratin with our leftover kale and tomato slices. I was disappointed the small orange squash didn't taste better (or we were able to eat it at all), but the larger squash was incredible---tender and flavorful (it absorbed some of the stuffing's flavors). Everyone ate and enjoyed it. J didn't like the sausage or squash much (he picked out the bread, apples, and raisins), M didn't care for the squash but ate everything else. Curtis and I had no problem finishing our plates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark and I both really liked this dish. I used acorn squash from WF and they were very tasty. Mark approved even though he has a bit of a squash phobia.