Wednesday, October 1, 2008

In the CSA box today

Finally some new produce in our box this week! Arugula! Aaahh...arugula, how I love your peppery flavor, your tender leaves. I am inspired to write a haiku for you...

Frail Arugula
Tender ragged-edge leaves
Delights taste buds.

So I am not poet, but that gives some idea about exactly how exciting a leafy green is for me after months and months of squash, eggplant, and bell peppers.

Also in our box this week (although, I must say I hardly noticed the other veggies. Sorry! It's like the new baby in the room....it just draws my attention):

4 tomatoes
2 small red onions
2 small white onions
a large myriad of eggplants
a winter squash--I believe a carnival squash
2 small patty pan squash
2 small zucchini
2 small yellow squash
ARUGULA (did I mention that yet?)
3 small to medium sized cucumbers
okra (which was left behind in the trade box)
several bell peppers
many hot peppers (also left behind)
a dozen eggs
a bag of basil

In the picture are the vegetables that went onto the counter, instead of the refrigerator. The winter squash went into a cupboard to wait for a cooler day. I think the prettiest eggplant are the light purple ones (hidden at the top of the bowl).

My menu for the week has changed slightly to accommodate the arrival of arugula. This evening we are having a zucchini frittata and squash rolls from yesteray. Tomorrow night, I plan to make a roasted butternut squash and arugula pappardelle (a thick pasta Curtis calls tapeworm pasta). Other than that, the menu remains the same.

No comments: